April 18, 2013

Closure

I recently finished a book entitled Mockingbird, by Kathryn Erskine, and I want you to read it. I blubbered like a baby at the end, and it's not just any book that makes me so emotional that I actually cry. The premise is that the main character Caitlin has Aspergers and is dealing with a major emotional loss. If you know of Aspergers, then you know that emotions are hard to understand and express when a person is on the spectrum. Caitlin's brother Devon was the only one who helped her "Get It," and he was killed in a school shooting. Caitlin's voice is clear and honest, and as she seeks closure for herself, her father and her community, you become completely invested in this person most people cannot relate to. It is a well told story and a hopeful one.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful transparency. I think most women will be able to relate to some part of this. Closure and forgiveness are pretty closely linked, I think. And then, and only then, will those ghosts stop haunting us.
    Love ya Jess!

    ReplyDelete