October 23, 2012

Benton City vs. St. Louis- Part One

We're working on comparing/contrasting in my class, which got me thinking...how does my new home compare to the old one? Here's the first installment.
This was the view down my street on a typical fall day in St. Louis.
A typical fall day overlooking the Yakima river and the Benton City bridge.
#1- The Foliage
There's a stark beauty here in the high desert, especially as the morning mist rolls over Horse Heaven Hills. There may not be many trees outside of town, but the grape leaves turning from green to a symphony of fall colors helps make up for that. I never would have thought it, but it's gorgeous here.
This is a farming community, with grapes, cherries, potatoes, apples and wheat all around the city.
There are some interesting plants that have caught my attention...

There's a nasty weed here that grows WITHOUT water, has a thorn that will pop a bike tire and spreads across the ground like wildfire. I would like to introduce you to...Goathead, also known as Tribulus Terrestris. It is a terrible thing to step on should you be walking to work...




Next up, we have the symbol of the barren parts of the West, the Tumbleweed.

I've started a tally of how many I hit with my car on a windy day- I'm up to 29, and I'm not even trying.
They can get pretty big.
Let's just say, I recently purchased some boots.
Student Sayings/Mannerisms will be Part Two!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo Goatheads...I know them well...Boots are highly recommended, and then check your shoes before you go inside. Nothing worse than stepping on one inside the comfort of your own home!
    I can't wait for the "student says" post! They're my favorite!

    ReplyDelete